Monday, June 26, 2006

Canoeing

For most people who go canoeing it is an enjoyable/peaceful ride, but for me that was not the case.

I should have known it wasn't going to go well when both Carrie (my canoeing partner) and I admitted to not ever being in a canoe, or at the very least in a canoe that was going to be hitting some rapids, but we risked it anyways. We got in ok and waited for several of the guys that went over a small dam further up the river, during our wait I was trying to figure out how to steer (that was a joke!) and Carrie was trying to find her balance. This was such a recipe for diaster, but we thought what's the worst that could happen.

Well the guys caught up to us and passed us, meanwhile Carrie and I were heading into the first set of rapids. These rapids were small, but very dangerous for 2 girls that have no experience. Our canoe started to move sidewise towards the rapids and then SPLASH in we went and away went our canoe. Lloyd and Zach were good enough to pick up all of our remnants (thanks guys) until we could make it to the little island further up. At first I was trying to walk over all the rocks and then found it was just easier to give into the current, so I sat down and bumped all the way to safety. As I emerged out of the water I truly wished I had put my suit on, but though before we left "Nah I won't need it," how silly of me. Because of that little spill I now have one of the biggest bruises I've ever had on my leg! It is great, I call it my battle wound.

Carrie and I switched partners to guys that had more experience and actually knew what they were doing (fancy that) :). Although we both brought our new partners into the river once more with us. I guess that is the risk you take with us! So all totaled 2 hours of canoeing and two spills isn't bad in my book for the first real go through. :) Kayaking is my next adventure (but I'm thinking I'll need full body armor to make it through.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cal said...

You go, wild woman! Sometime, you should get a bike and ride to Rockford with us. :-D

7:21 AM  
Blogger lloyd said...

One week later, and that bruise was still very impressive. ;-)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home